Wednesday, July 18, 2012

First Ivy Essay


D G
7/16/12
Writing Workshop
1st Essay

            This essay is based on the poem “Cleaning the Well” by Paul Ruffin and “I love the look of Words” by Maya Angelou. Both of these are very similar and different in many ways. My favorite of the two is cleaning the Well. There are many why I like that poem the most.

            There are many similarities between the two poems. First, they are both first person narratives. They are spoke by a person who says “I”. Second, both poems use vivid imagery in multiple instances. In cleaning the well, “My feet rasped against cold stone, toes selecting unnatural shapes, curling and gripping, raising them to my fingers.” The Final similarity between these 2 poems is that they both have similies. In I Love the look of Words, here is a simile. “When I have stopped reading, ideas from the words stay stuck in my mind, like the sweet smell of butter.”

            There are a lot of differences between these two poems. First, I love the Look of Words is in stanza form while cleaning the well is not. Second, Cleaning the Well is a bit longer than I love the Look of Words. Cleaning the Well is 43 lines and I love the look of Words is 18 lines. Finally, Cleaning the Well is in a story form while I love the look of words is not. Cleaning the well tells a tale of … cleaning a well!

            My favorite poem of the two is cleaning the well. First, Cleaning the well tells a story. I like poems with stories because I can be immersed in that story while it still is a poem. Second, while Maya Angelou is still an amazing poet, I feel that Paul Ruffin did a wonderful job explaining, writing, and creating a picture of this poem.

            Overall, these two poems had many similarities and differences. I liked them very much. From these two poems, I can conclude that Maya Angelou likes to compare two objects or thoughts in her poetry and Paul Ruffin likes to tell stories in his poetry. I have learned a lot from this essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment